If you are familiar with high school wrestling you have probably heard of the Brandon Eagles high school wrestling team out of Brandon, Florida. They are led by 35 year veteran Head Coach Russ Cozart. Coach Cozart has amassed an amazing list of accomplishments at Brandon as a coach and while also personally competing on the National level.
He has won the “Triple Crown” in the Veterans category of wrestling as a competitor. The “Triple Crown” is a name given for winning each of three National events in Folkstyle, Freestyle, and Greco. Overall, Coach Cozart has individually won 11 National titles – 8 in freestyle, 2 in Greco, and 1 in folkstyle. Coach Cozart is passionate about the sport of wrestling as it has encompassed much of his life. He has won ten world medals in FILA Vetrans World Competition of which, 7 where Championships and 3 were Runner-Up finishes.
His coaching accomplishments are as follows:
- Head Coach at Upland H.S. in Upland, CA 1976-1978
- Head Coach at Chamberlain RS. in Tampa, FL 1978-1980
- Head Coach at Brandon RS. In Brandon, FL 1980-Present
- Twenty One (21) time Florida State Champions
- Brandon HS is the national record holder for any high school sport for consecutive winning streak: 459 consecutive wins 1974-2008
- Dual Meet record at Brandon HS 460-2 overall Coaching record 496-15
- 2004 Team Ranked #3 in the Nation
- 2005 Team Ranked #1 Public High School in the Nation by Intermat
- Coached 86 State Champions and 116 State Place Winners
- 20 out of the past 25 years Brandon has finished season ranked #17 or higher nationally.
- National Coach of the Year Honors
- Records set at Junior Nationals, Fargo, ND
- Most finalists from one high school – 8 (5 in Greco, 3 in Freestyle)
- Most Champions from one high school – 6 (3 in Greco, 3 in Freestyle)
- Featured on the Regis and Kelly show – 10/26/07
- Head Coach of Brandon Wrestling Club for 30 years
- Coached 91 Athletes to Individual National Championships and 163 to All-American
- Multiple student athletes have gone on to receive collegiate wrestling scholarships and win All-American Honors.
- Featured on documentary, “The Streak” by ESPN, nominated for an Emmy in 2008.